Direct care providers are able to provide rest and relief for families and youth in the Children’s Behavioral Health System. This service can be provided at home or in the community and allows the parents/caregivers to take time for themselves while the youth are able to participate in activities in a different, safe setting and practice community behavioral skills that will assist in successfully reaching their individual and family goals.
In the Children’s treatment plan:
- Children are able to learn positive and appropriate peer interaction.
- Rest and relief in support of their treatment plan goals.
- Provide structured activities in safe settings.
- Participation in community events and youth related leadership forums.
- Teaching boundaries in one’s personal space.
- Developing community interaction skills.
- Building natural supports.
- Teaching youth how to identify, manage and understand their individual challenges.
- Reducing home stressors that support children in being successful at home and with their families.
LIVING SKILLS: GROUP & INDIVIDUAL
Living Skills teach young people independent living, social, and communication skills to prepare them to live and participate in their family and community and function independently. Topics include self-care, budgeting, social support development, use of community resources, transitioning to adulthood and having a voice in the services they receive, healthy leisure and community activities, and effective communication.
The youth council group members are youth ages 13 to 17 years old. The group is open to MIKID enrollees statewide as well youth in the community. The youth meet on a regular basis to discuss the various topics, fundraising, and volunteering.
- Team building activities focused on Action, Change, Empowerment, Respect, Support (ACERS)
- Leadership skills building
- Youth voice in the behavioral health system
- Transition to Adulthood
Community service out in the community
- Positive Interaction with Peers
- Self Esteem
YOUTH PEER SUPPORT
Youth Specialists have to be at least 21 years